Re: Library packages depending on data files

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 12:53:07AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 06:15:27PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > >
> > > For whom?
> > >
> > > The most important thing is whether there are problems for the users,
> > > and situations like being able to install libssl0.9.6 and libssl0.9.7 at
> > > the same time are problems waiting to occur when people will do e.g.
> > > partial upgrades from Debian 3.0 to Debian 3.1, since it might happen
> > > that one application links (via a different lib) with two so-versions
> > > of libssl at the same time.
> > >
> > > Compared to these user visible problems, I'd consider the issues like
> > > having to recompile all packages in unstable and the babysitting testing
> > > requires less important.
> >
> > No, we should just fix bugs (for they *are* bugs) in applications that
> > try to link to two versions of the same library at the same time. It's
>
> The problem is that they come through inter-library dependencies. It
> might be that the program doesn't change, but a library is recompiled.

The problem is that this causes a problem. It's supposed to *work*
when two versions of the same library get included like this. When it
doesn't work, it's usually because of one of a small set of easily
corrected problems - most likely failing to version the symbols.

> Let's assume:
>
> Package: proga
> Depends liba0, libb0
>
> Package: liba0
> Depends: libb0
>
> If liba0 is recompiled with libb1 and random segfaults are reported in
> proga, the proga maintainer usually recompiles proga with libb1 and
> everyone's happy ... but the breakage when upgrading only liba0 and not
> proga is still possible.
>
> I'm sorry, but I doubt every maintainer of proga will do the right thing
> and add a conflict with older versions of liba0.

Damnit, don't sweep bugs under the carpet. *Fix* them. Otherwise
they'll just keep happening. This kind of bug is usually *easy* to
fix.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |