Re: Library packages depending on data files

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 07:08:26PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 01:07:33PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Two words: upgrade hell.
>
> For whom?
>
> The most important thing is whether there are problems for the users,
> and situations like being able to install libssl0.9.6 and libssl0.9.7 at
> the same time are problems waiting to occur when people will do e.g.
> partial upgrades from Debian 3.0 to Debian 3.1, since it might happen
> that one application links (via a different lib) with two so-versions
> of libssl at the same time.
>
> Compared to these user visible problems, I'd consider the issues like
> having to recompile all packages in unstable and the babysitting testing
> requires less important.

No, we should just fix bugs (for they *are* bugs) in applications that
try to link to two versions of the same library at the same time. It's
not that hard to do normally, and we've got plenty of experience doing
it. This is much friendlier to users than forcing them to uninstall half
their system during an upgrade, and guaranteeing that testing is even
more permanently out-of-date than it already is.

If you know of cases where partial upgrades cause this problem, please
report them. However, your proposal will make partial upgrades far more
painful than they need to be.

BTW, having to recompile all packages in unstable is a major, major
deal, and we *have* to allow it to be parallelized with other issues or
releasing becomes nigh-impossible.