Re: Architecture distribution in Debian according to popcon

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:
> Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:
>> Quoting from master.d.o's exim.conf:

>> sender_verify = true
>> headers_sender_verify = true
>> sender_verify_hosts = !murphy.debian.org:*

> Ah, thanks. I had a quick look at the exim documentation to know what
> the exact checks are but found:

>  The check is performed by running the same verification code as is
>  used when Exim is called with the -bvs option, that is, by running the
>  directors and routers in verify mode.

> so it is still a bit vague.

It means, that exim checks whether it would know where to deliver mail
to the address ...

>> Therefore a message from root@mydebian.dialuphost.com to popcon won't
>> be accepted.

> Actually, I have a dialup machine with popularity-contest installed; I
> didn't configure the MAILFROM in /etc/popularity-contest.conf and never
> got any bounce from popcon. I guess this is because my postfix sends
> mails with an envelope where the From has a domain with an MX record
[...]

... which explains this. - Your domain in MAILFROM has an mx-record.

> I suppose that with the same configuration but nothing listening on port
> 25, popcon would still work. I mean, the exim on master.d.o doesn't
> attempt to *send* a mail for every received mail, does it?
[...]

No, it just tries to "route" it, i.e. to check if it knew where it
_would_ deliver a mail to. (Exim could be configured to try to send a
mail and quiting after rcpt to. - This is called "callback" but of
course not enabled by default.)

              cu andreas

--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_