Re: Architecture distribution in Debian according to popcon

Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:

> Quoting from master.d.o's exim.conf:
>
> sender_verify = true
> headers_sender_verify = true
> sender_verify_hosts = !murphy.debian.org:*

Ah, thanks. I had a quick look at the exim documentation to know what
the exact checks are but found:

  The check is performed by running the same verification code as is
  used when Exim is called with the -bvs option, that is, by running the
  directors and routers in verify mode.

so it is still a bit vague.

> Therefore a message from root@mydebian.dialuphost.com to popcon won't
> be accepted.

Actually, I have a dialup machine with popularity-contest installed; I
didn't configure the MAILFROM in /etc/popularity-contest.conf and never
got any bounce from popcon. I guess this is because my postfix sends
mails with an envelope where the From has a domain with an MX record
(however, it is a simple dynamic DNS account; I use postfix only to send
mail and receive bounces---and for fetchmail).

I suppose that with the same configuration but nothing listening on port
25, popcon would still work. I mean, the exim on master.d.o doesn't
attempt to *send* a mail for every received mail, does it?

If this is correct, you don't have to be able to *receive* mail properly
in order to run a popcon instance with MAILFROM left commented in
/etc/popularity-contest.conf. That is what I would like to confirm.

Thanks.

--
Florent