Re: Attempted Progress Report: Sarge

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 03:39:40PM -0600, Chris Cheney wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 06:11:37PM +0100, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> > As Chris already said, one of the uploads was the likely cause for
> > breakage in the kdemultimedia compile.  kdemultimedia was doing stupid
> > things, but this is not an excuse.  If something stupid works before a
> > new gcc upload, it should continue to work after it.  Otherwise, I
> > don't see the point of a freeze.
>
> Actually the specific breakage I was thinking about was the stupid
> syscall usage in kdebase/kdeutils SYS_sysinfo instead of using sysinfo().
> It started failing on mips around the time linux-kernel-headers came
> about.
>
> Overall I agree that the toolchain people have been doing a great job.
> Its just that unexpected breakage will happen when they are updated,
> thats part of the point of a freeze. The tricky part is balancing it,
> fixing current problems without creating much new breakage. :)
>
> Chris

I just found another problem gcc 3.3.3 in sid is now too strict to
compile KDE 3.1.x, gcc 3.3.2 that was in sid in early Oct was just
fine. kdegraphics, kdenetwork, and maybe others are broken by the new
3.3.3 in sid. I was able to find a patch to make kdegraphics work with
3.3.3, but not for kdenetwork. Now I will probably have to revert to
using gcc 3.2.3 which works fine. So I stand by my comments that not
freezing the toolchain is causing problems.

Chris