Re: Attempted Progress Report: Sarge

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 06:11:37PM +0100, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> As Chris already said, one of the uploads was the likely cause for
> breakage in the kdemultimedia compile.  kdemultimedia was doing stupid
> things, but this is not an excuse.  If something stupid works before a
> new gcc upload, it should continue to work after it.  Otherwise, I
> don't see the point of a freeze.

Actually the specific breakage I was thinking about was the stupid
syscall usage in kdebase/kdeutils SYS_sysinfo instead of using sysinfo().
It started failing on mips around the time linux-kernel-headers came
about.

Overall I agree that the toolchain people have been doing a great job.
Its just that unexpected breakage will happen when they are updated,
thats part of the point of a freeze. The tricky part is balancing it,
fixing current problems without creating much new breakage. :)

Chris