Re: Controlling what's in the archive (Re: MIA, Incompetent and holiday-loving maintainers)

* Martin Michlmayr (tbm@cyrius.com) [040104 23:40]:
> * Gergely Nagy <algernon@debian.org> [2004-01-04 22:52]:
> > Requiring co-maintainers would be an overkill. There are quite a few
> > packages where it would be a big burden and wouldn't accomplish anything
> > (think most of my packages: tama, sam, now es). Some packages are so
> > small and simple that requiring co-maintainers for them is just a PITA.

> Requiring co-maintainers may be overkill for some packages, but having
> a dedicated backup who you trust to do updates when you're busy|away
> doesn't hurt, does it?

It does not hurt, but - for some packages it would be rather a waste
of time. I maintain e.g. libapache-mod-dav. A upload every few month,
and no real bugs open anymore (one wishlist with "help" set). I'd
consider it a waste of time to look for a co-maintainer there (but if
anyone wants, he's always welcome). Well, and if some urgent bug would
arise when I'm not available, anyone could NMU quite easy, as this _is_
an easy package; nothing could really be broken if someone knows Debian
and apache.

(I know that this is different for complex packages, and I'm very glad
that I have comaintainers for some rather difficult packages. I
consider co-maintainers a good idea, but in some (almost pathological)
cases it's really not useful.)

Cheers,
Andi
--