Re: Re: MIA, Incompetent and holiday-loving maintainers (was: Request for NMUs.)

* tbm <tbm@cyrius.com> [2004-01-04 20:04]:
> It's a big question.  And NMU policy has changed over the years.  NMUs
> were normal in the beginning, and then, gradually, people started
> seeing NMUs as messages saying they don't do their work properly
> (which isn't necessarily the case).  Now, I think there's a trend
> towards accepting NMUs more again, which I think is good.

After reading Frank Lichtenheld's message, I realized I should clarify
this.  While I don't think NMUs are bad, I also don't think they are
the solution for everything.  Someone doing an NMU often doesn't know
and understand the package very well -- I think it's much better to
have backup and co-maintainers.  I think this is something we should
be moving towards (as the paper below also argues).

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com