Re: python again

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:18:00 +0100, Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@raw.no>
wrote:
>* Marc Haber
>| Butter bei die Fische: How do I build a policy conformant pythonX.Y
>| that allows to run a recent Mailman on woody _without_ having to build
>| all other pythonX.Y packages, and _without_ having to recompile
>| reportbug, python-apt, dput and apt-listchanges.
>
>Why do you want a newer python?  Mailman works fine using the version
>in woody, if you apply the patch I posted to the list here a few days
>ago.

I will try that as soon as possible.

But that is a cure for a problem that can pop up again. What if I need
a package that _really_ needs python2.3 on woody? Then I am bitten
again. I don't know enough about python to be able to judge whether it
is a general problem with the toolchain, or if the python packaging is
just plain overengineered. But what we have at the moment sucks. That
I can get by mailman without backporting python might solve my
immediate problem, but it does not make Debian's python concept suck
less.

Greetings
Marc