Re: murphy is listed on spamcop

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 21:55, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> The leading German web-based mail providers are regularly blocked. 8-(

What are the spam policies of those webmail companies like?  Do they try to
stop all the spam?

Webmail tends to get a lot of spam no matter what you do, so having them
blocked is something you have to deal with.  I know people who specifically
configure their mail servers to block webmail...

> Maybe the language barrier is the reason why the mail volumes differ.
> After all. Spamcop is English-only, and I don't think the German
> providers offer an English user interface.  As a result, there's
> probably little mail flowing between the two.

One issue is having German admin people read spam reports in English.  I
imagine that the cheapest people you could hire in Germany would not know
English very well.

Another issue would be false reports of spam.  Recognising the difference
between a vacation message and a spam in another language is usually too
difficult.  I generally send all mail I receive that isn't in English or
Dutch to SpamCop.  Everyone who has a legitimate cause to send me email knows
to use English.