Re: Filing bugs with upstream

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 01:04 +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:43:51 -0800 (PST), Mike Mestnik
> <cheako911@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:40:42 -0600, Kenneth Pronovici wrote:
> > > It's not as simple as saying that these people are "not willing to be a
> > > maintainer".  In my case, these were otherwise quite responsible
> > > maintainers who just didn't feel it was their responsibility to deal
> > > with upstream bugs.  So, like I said, we have some internal
> > > disagreements on this subject, and we don't have a solid policy that
> > > says what we're supposed to do with upstream bugs.
> > Let's get some things straight.
> > 1. Most upstreams has stated vary plainly that there software is NOT FIT
> > FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  I think this includes, but is not limited to,
> > being used in any way by Debian.
> > This would imply that the Debian community can ask nothing of them, YMMV.
>
> Most developers do not guarantee it's fit for anything.
> I don't think they claim/guarantee it's not fit for anything (or fit
> for nothing).

Heck, *all* software licenses say that.  And if it causes you to
lose your data, tough shit on that, too.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"All machines, no matter how complex, are considered to be based
on 6 simple elements: the lever, the pulley, the wheel and axle,
the screw, the wedge and the inclined plane."
Marilyn Vos Savant