Re: Filing bugs with upstream

Ian Wienand:

> So say I've found a bug in Nautilus that exists in upstream.  Gnome
> has a well maintained bugzilla where I can file the bug.  Do I then
> file a Debian bug pointing to the Gnome bugzilla report?  Or do I file
> a Debian bug and point the Gnome Bugzilla report to it.  Or do I just
> file a Debian bug and hope the maintainer files one upstream?

The latter is often not good enough. Many bugs are sitting in the
Debian bug database for years, and no further action is taken,
and upstream never learns about the problem.

Thomas Bushnell:

# In my opinion, best practice is to file a Debian bug, and rely on the
# Debian maintainer to file an upstream bug.  If you do file an upstream
# bug, you should verify yourself that the bug exists in the unmodified
# upstream sources, not just in the Debian package.  (And here I do mean
# "verify", not just "reason about it and think it must".)
#
# But whether you file an upstream bug report or not, *always* file a
# Debian bug.

Yes. Now verifying that the upstream package has the same problem
is useful in any case. If it doesnt then that is good information
for the Debian maintainer. If it does, then always also file an
upstream bug report.

Andries