Re: Release update: kde3.3, upload targets, infrastructure

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 02:42:53PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> [2004.12.21.1438 +0100]:
> > This breaks old d-i builds
>
> Do we have to stay backwards-compatible in unreleased (at least
> officially) software? Seems like consciously crippling it before
> releasing it.

We need as much testing as we can get. Consciously crippling our testing
process is not useful. We only have to stay backwards-compatible by one
d-i release, not indefinitely; however, if we cripple the last d-i
release, then people simply won't test d-i.

> > (since they would try to install libgcc1 and wouldn't be able to
> > without a changed list of packages)
>
> huh? they would try to install libunwind you mean?

No. If we have:

  Package: libgcc1
  Depends: libunwind7

... then a debootstrap that only installs libgcc1 will fail for the
obvious reason, since it doesn't follow dependencies. This is why the
current strategy was adopted.

Cheers,