Re: installing udev without rebooting

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 12:50:35AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Dec 19, Andres Salomon <dilinger@voxel.net> wrote:
>
> > At this point, you should be able to mount tmpfs over /dev, and still
> > access the old contents of /dev from the $D directory.  `find $D -type s`
> > should give you a list of all sockets that should be moved (I can't think
> > of any cases where something would create a socket in /dev that shouldn't
> > be moved over).
> Can sockets be moved between different filesystems?

I don't know for sockets, but you can't do this with named pipes as used
by init, xconsole and gpm for example. You can only create a new named
pipe with the same filename. This means you would have to restart all
the processes using the named pipe. I don't see a way of doing this
without risking race conditions and other annoying things like your X
server getting killed because it uses gpmdata.

Cheers,

Peter (p2).