Re: Are mails sent to xxxx <at> buildd.debian.org sent to /dev/null ?

In article <[🔎] 20041218093530.GD8881@mauritius.dodds.net> vorlon@debian.org write:
>> What would help would be an email address where any DD can send a
>> signed mail to request a rebuild or to set a dep-wait or a build
>> failure.
>
>> There could be a webpage where one selects the package(s) and
>> architecture and it generates a mail template that just needs to be
>> signed and send in case you fear the syntax is to complex.
>
>I wouldn't worry nearly so much about syntax as I would about DDs blindly
>requeuing packages that are going to fail, and crushing the buildd network.
>As it is, I've seen far too many botched attempts at fixing FTBFS bugs, by
>maintainers who didn't understand why their packages were failing; I think
>giving DDs a button to push any time one of them assumes the buildd is at
>fault (which is often assumed) is of dubious benefit.

Make such rebuilds lower priority than new builds, and have a
mechanism to block DDs who abuse it.  The latter might even be able to
be automated based on percentage of requested rebuilds failing.

On sparc, about 1/3 of the "maybe_failed" builds are due to simple
build dependancy problems.

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html