Re: Default gcc for sarge, libunwind

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 08:13:31PM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
>
>> [quoting me, Frank]
>
>> > Secondly, I'd like to learn what this libunwind is about and why
>> > tetex-bin is linked against it on some (many!) arches, but not on
>> > i386. The package description wasn't really helpful there.
>
>>   nfi about this, sorry.
>
> This is not "many", or even "some"; there is precisely one architecture
> which includes libunwind7, ia64, where AIUI this library plays a role in
> being able to properly debug program call stacks.

I was fooled by the fact that
http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=tetex-bin lists all
architectures as problematic where gcc-3.4 has not yet been built, and
overlooked that this doesn't mean tetex-bin depends on libunwind on all
these arches.

> Why this library was suddenly deemed critical for the architecture after
> we were already 3 months into a toolchain freeze is another question.

This I'd like to know, too

> FWIW, these questions seem more appropriate to debian-devel than
> debian-mentors; these are not what I would call novice packaging
> questions. :)

When I asked the first question, I expected to turn out to be just a big
misconception of mine. Well, moving to debian-devel, and Cc-ing Matthieu
and Al, libunwidn maintainers.

TIA, Frank
--
Frank Küster