Re: removing in postrm rc*.d symlinks that I did not create

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 02:11:06AM +0100, Nicolas Boullis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 04:33:49PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> >
> > A technique that I've used in packages with this issue is to install the
> > rc*.d symlinks by default, but also have the init script check a file in
> > /etc/default to see whether or not to actually start at boot.  If you
> > install a default /etc/default file that says not to start, you accomplish
> > the same thing, don't have this problem, and make it just as easy for
> > users to enable the package.
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
> I already thought about it, but I fnind it quite confusing when I cannot
> run /etc/init.d/foobar by hand as soon as it is not enabled on startup.

Well, you could have a message saying that you need to enable foo and a
'force-start' action that started it regardless of what's in /etc/default.
Moreover, the script could check if it's being called on startup (it's name
is 'SXXXX') and heed the default value and start anyway if called from the
command line. There are plenty of ways to avoid that confusion.

Regards

Javier