Re: If you really want Free firmware...

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 02:24:08AM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> I don't care about it. It's the people who want it done badly enough
> to whine about it on public mailing lists who should go do it.

The issue is people who care about it enough that they want Debian's policies
to encourage vendors to make free hardware, but can or will do nothing to
actually make that hardware exist.  Free Software programmers can usefully
encourage vendors to create Free Software, because they *first* created
a lot of it themselves, and showed how useful and practical it is.  You
can't start by demanding freedom, saying "if you do this, it'll benefit
everyone--trust me!"

(This isn't to say that I think non-free firmware belongs in main, of
course.  It's a difficult issue, and I don't quite know the right answer
yet.)

--
Glenn Maynard