Re: Why firmware generally won't be Free Software

John Hasler wrote:

The embedded code is essentially a driver for the internal device and reveals only a limited amount about how it works. Exactly how much it reveals depends on the design and varies a lot.
Well, for embedded programming to make sense you really need to document everything that the hardware can do in response to the programming. You would not have to reveal the verilog code for your gate-array, but you might have to reveal quite a lot about how each gate-array works.

There are a couple of other problems, however.

a) The embedded code often includes large chunks of sublicensed code which
  the vendor is not at liberty to release.'
My eCos book has not sold very well. I don't believe that we are making big inroads into the market of embedded operating systems that are smaller than Linux.

   Thanks

   Bruce