Re: add Date: field to Packages files

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> writes:
> >> Even offline, files have time stamps in most modern filesystems out there.
> >> usually as available as the file itself.
> > Timestamp of the .ar members.
>
> The timestamp would not reflect when the file was added to testing for
> example.

And of course there is the "please lets get signed debs already" solution,
where the date stamp on the signatures themselves would tell us:
  1. When the .deb was built / autobuilt
  2. When the .deb was installed into the archive

(plus any more events we care to "stamp" with a signature).

Since DAK could then enforce (1) is done by a Debian developer in the
keyring (proper sponsorship procedure enforcement), or by an "accredited"
autobuilder.  Maybe it could even enforce that (2) is done either by
dinstall or by a ftp-master for completeness. It would be trivial to get the
canonical dates while doing the signature processing.

As for adding that as a field to the packaging, well, I understand DAK has a
proper database to keep such stuff, so that's where it should go in this
case I think.

  Henrique Holschuh