Re: Removal of freeswan from sarge

On Friday 10 December 2004 13.20, Frank Küster wrote:
> Rene Mayrhofer <rmayr@debian.org> wrote:
> > I am still thinking about doing an "upgrade" package of freeswan
> > though, which depends on openswan and simply moves the configuration of
> > the old freeswan configuration to openswan. Any preferences towards
> > such a package?
>
> I don't see any reasons for _not_ providing a smooth upgrade
> path.

As far I understand it, a kernel recompilation is necessary in most cases,
so the upgrade won't be smooth anyway.  Not providing an upgrade package
would leave current freeswan users with their setup, while providing an
upgrade package would make them pull in openswan on upgrade, when they
really wanted to keep that kernel and their current freeswan set up.

I don't use any IPsec currently, so I'm not a user, just adding my €.02

-- vbi

--
The law will never make men free; it is men who have got to make the law
free.