Re: Linux Core Consortium

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 14:33 -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Daniel Jacobowitz writes:
> > Using binaries from LCC would also run against the Debian principle of
> > always building Debian packages from their source before uploading them.
> > That's a big deal.
>
> Big enough that I think common binaries should be completely out of the
> question for that reason alone.  I also haven't seen a convincing argument
> that they are beneficial.  Why don't standard ABIs suffice?

Bugs in different versions of app/libraries that nonetheless share
common ABI.

libfoo 1.7 fixes a non-security bug in v1.6.  "bar" segfaults when
running libfoo 1.6.  But libfoo 1.6 is in Sarge, and the bug won't
be fixed because it's not a security bug.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

The political implications of this picture are pretty amazing.
http://www-1.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/waywewore/waywewore_28.
html