Re: On unresponsive maintainers (was: Re: On using magicfilter and gs)

On Nov 27 2004, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> I don't know anything about the packages in question or their maintainer,
> but if he's really being unresponsive, somebody should look into it in a
> serious way.

Actually, I think that there are quite a lot of maintainers being
unresponsive to users's bug reports.

Unfortunately, the maintainer of vrms seems to be another one. Just go look
at the number of bugs (with patches *included*) that he has and that are
*way* *more* than 6 months old. And some of the bugs are quite trivial to
fix, sincerely (or to, at least, work around).

The same can be said about many other maintainers.

Simply packing some software and dropping it on the repository isn't what
being a Debian Developer is meant to be, IMVH and uninformed O.

Anyway, I have already merged some bugs on the BTS, but I myself can't do
much. I would invite other users to help with this. Perhaps this way the
bug count will drop and the maintainers will give up maintaining their
packages, leaving room for some new blood.

And, most important of all, keeping up the quality of Debian.

Rantingly yours, Rogério Brito.

P.S.: It should be said, though, that while some developers are missing in
action, others are devoting quite some of their time to the project. For
instance, the guys maintaining Gnome, the guys maintaining OOo, the XSF,
the tetex-maint team and the guys working having Free Java in Debian. kudos
to you all.

P.S.2: I'm not subscribed to debian-devel, but I think that this subject is
pertinent there also, which is why I'm Cc'ing the list.
  Rogério Brito - rbrito@ime.usp.br - http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito