bad archive handling (was: Re: GNOME 2.8 on ia64 completely hosed?)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Sven Luther wrote (on debian-gtk-gnome):

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 02:39:28AM +0100, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:
> >
> > It looks like you're trying to install gnome-applets 2.8.1.1-3 and
> > gnome-applets-data 2.8.1.1-4. As far as I understand, gnome-applets-data
> > is common for all architectures, so -4 got build when the i386 version
> > got built, but the -4 version of gnome-applets for ia64 wsn't built at
> > that time and when you tried to upgrade only -3 was available.
>
> Indeed. I believe this is a bug in the debian archive, which should not drop
> the -3 common version until all arches are dropping it.

That is a flaw in the way the archive is handled.  Instead of accepting sources
_only_ and starting the build for all architectures simultaneously, the archive
immediately installs whichever architecture was used for the developer's build,
which puts all other architectures behind, until someone got around signing and
installing the build for each architecture manually and that sometimes can take
days, on less popular architectures with fewer Build Masters monitoring the job.

In other words, the current way of uploading things ain't working. Let's fix it.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.iki.fi/q-funk/