Re: Proposal: su-to-root should be replaced with a system managed by alternatives.

Why you are posting to me and not to list?

> > IMHO it's not a case for alternatives.
>
> I'd say it most definitely is.

It's not at least because alternatives should be compatable at command line
level.

> Which of the two is the correct one to use depends on system policy;

It depends on what for it is being used, not on system policy.

Script in /etc/cron.daily will hardly use sudo to run a command as non-root
user. It will use su.
You will hardly use su to give your user ability to run particular command
as root. You will use sudo.
You will not use either su or sudo in GUI environment (from menu).
You will not use GUI tool if not under X.

The only situation when there is something that looks like alternative, is
a simple 'get-root-shell-from-command-line' case.