Re: Strange [xgk]dm behaviour in Sarge

On Thursday 18 November 2004 21:48, Karsten Merker wrote:
> When I log in on a text console and start X using startx,
> everything works fine. When I log in as root and use
> "/etc/init.d/xdm start" or "/etc/init.d/kdm start", xdm/kdm starts,
> the mouse works and I can select menus in kdm, but the keyboard is
> completely dead. NumLock cannot be toggled, console switching is
> not possible and also zapping the X-server with CTRL-ALT-BS does
> not work. Entering username and password does not work as well :-).

I have experienced the same problem on Sid some time ago. It helped when I
killed the Xserver with the kdm menu command and waited until it respawned
again. The problem dissapeared after some upgrade, however I still don't know
in what paritcular package the problem was. It seems that it was not in KDM
as I thought but rather in X system itself. So my advice is: fill the bug
report and force the maitaner to upgrade the system to the recent one
(apparently the problem is corrected now in Sid).

Cheers
Maciek

--
M.Sc. Maciej Dems          maciej.dems@phys.p.lodz.pl
C o m p u t e r   P h y s i c s   L a b o r a t o r y