Re: Intent to mass-file bugs: FDL/incorrect copyright files

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:45:00 +1100, Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> said:

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 04:59:36PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:51:42 +1100, Hamish Moffatt
>> <hamish@debian.org> said:
>>
>> > Your post above demonstrates this aptly.
>>
>> And how so, pray tell? What is the "hammer" I have that leads me to
>> classify computer related entities as a) software, b) hardware, or
>> c) wetware?

> The hammer is your extremely limited vocabulary for classifying
> computer-related things. Suddenly you've classified everything as
> software and lost any subtlety of documentation versus programs
> versus data etc.

	There is a reason. You can't come up with a classification
 criteria that can sensibly classify entities at this finer
 granularity. Here is a quote from an old discussion:

,----[ Rigid subclassification of software ]
|         OK. I have a program (for my day job), where we have pluggable
|  probes deployed by a sensor program, as and when the sensor deems
|  fit. Initially, the sensor does not know how many probes have been
|  installed on the local machine, it goes out and discovers the number
|  and nature of the probes in an initial resource discovery phase.
|
|         Each probe, when installed, installs an XML document that can
|  be converted into HTML or PDF by applying a sinple xsl transform;
|  this is where all the documentation oabout the probe lives.
|
|         This files is, then documentation, no?
|
|         The sensor reads the same file, applies another xsl transform,
|  and gets to know the capabilities of the probe, and how to classify
|  it, and publishes the data to a central trading service.
|
|         The file is configuration data, no?
|
|         Now, when a request for data comes in, a generic probe handler
|  is deployed, which reads the same file, applies a transform, and is
|  handed a seris of instructions on how to deploy the probe and
|  commuunicate with it.
|
|         This file is program code, no?
|
| 	To recap, the documentation of the probe lists the access
|  methods and protocols that one can talk to the probe; this is the
|  documentation part. The sensor parses the same bits to determine the
|  capabilities of the probe, and publishes that as data to a central
|  trading service. The very same bits are read by the generic probe
|  handler, and with an xsl transform, is handed a series of
|  instructions to deploy the probe. In all these use cases, exactly the
|  same set of bits is used.
|
| 	Second case: The page http://www.stdc.com/QMS/documentation/
|  belongs to an old project of mine; could you tell the documentation
|  apart from the code? I can also send, on request, the full set of man
|  pages generated (I think there are 350+ man pages, so attaching them
|  to this mail is going to be a problem for many people). (For the
|  record, the source code -- the .h and .cpp files -- are the sole
|  sources of the HTML pages you see at that URL).
|
|         You disambiguate my program for me, and I'll believe there
|  are rigid classifications of software which are feasible.
`----

	manoj
--
All generalizations are false, including this one. Mark Twain