Re: pkg-config issues

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 14:47 +0100, Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo wrote:

> I've just started packaging some library which provides .pc file for
> pkg-config. So I was wonder where to put this file and if my -dev package
> should depend on pkg-config.
>
> As usual I started looking how it is done in other libraries and
> unfortunatelly this didn't lead me to clear answer.
> Seems that policy doesn't describe it either.
>
> Problem a:
>
> Where .pc file should be put?
> Let's say I've got libXXX<soname> and libXXX-dev packages.

libXXX-dev ... it's part of the development side of your package, like
the Libtool .la file, and any other "how to build this" information.

> I suppose that I should put it in libXXX-dev package, but I found some
> packages which contain this file in libXXX<soname>.

They're buggy.

> Problem b:
>
> Should my package depend on pkg-config?
> I thought yes, but many packages didn't do that.

No -- not unless your package, for some mad reason, requires users to
use pkg-config to build against your shared library.

Packages that use pkg-config to find out about the shared libraries they
need to build, build-depend on pkg-config.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?