Re: sarge security (was: Re: Release update: please upload to unstable; toolchain; buildds; ...)

* Santiago Vila (sanvila@unex.es) [041113 15:25]:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:

> > > Will the start of official security support for sarge be announced widely,
> > > to get as much testing as possible? (Like: general debian-announce, press
> > > contacts, ...)
> >
> > No.  Why should it?  The new release of Debian will be widely announce.
> >
> > How do you want to test official security support?  Suddenly discover
> > loads of vulnerabilities?

> The day it is officially known that security support exist for sarge,
> lots of people will migrate their servers to sarge, even if it is not
> released as stable yet, so yes, it would be interesting that it is
> announced, widely or not, so that sarge (not the security support)
> get as much testing as possible before the release.

Be sure that we take care that as much testing as possible is done
before the final release. But - as we don't know when what will happen,
it is a bad idea to promise certain actions on certain days now. (Of
course, we know that a lot of users will upgrade as soon as security
support is in place - I'll do the same with my servers. :)

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/