Re: Which 2.6 kernel for Sarge on a Via C3?

Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 07:33:43PM +0100, Jerome Warnier wrote:
>> I'm wondering why I can't see many different 2.6 kernels on my Sarge
>> systems any longer. I own a Via C3-based computer (an x86 for those who
>> didn't know) and can find only -386 and -686 kernels which could
>> possibly match.
>>
>> Somebody knows?
>
> I seem to recall the C3 is missing the CMOV instruction which would
> require that you use a kernel < i686, so in this case the i386 kernel.

The C3 reports that it is a 686 without CMOV:

rw@lin-pc:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: CentaurHauls
cpu family	: 6
model		: 7
model name	: VIA Samuel 2
stepping	: 3
cpu MHz		: 800.047
cache size	: 64 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
bogomips	: 1595.80

rw@lin-pc:~$

rw@zeus:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 3
model name	: Pentium II (Klamath)
stepping	: 4
cpu MHz		: 299.754
cache size	: 512 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov mmx

CMOV is one of the options in the 686 spec.

There is an option to compile a C3 or a C3-2 kernel in the kernel source
tree.

Since the VIA machines keep getting used for servers, routers,
firewalls, X-terminals, and so on, it would be nice if there was a
Debian kernel supporting them. Especially if it supported the crypto
acceleration and hardware RNG available on later VIA cpu s.

cheers, Rich.

--
rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw@shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml