Re: Introducing pmount in Debian / New plugdev group

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 01:25:56PM +0100, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 06:41:40PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > We solved (4) by introducing a new group called 'plugdev'. Every user
> > who is a member of this group can access hotpluggable devices (digital
> > cameras, USB drives etc.). pmount can only be executed by members of
> > this group (it is root:plugdev 750), hal runs in this group to be able
> > to detect file systems (but it does not run in 'disk'), and udev
> > assigns the 'plugdev' group to removable devices (static drives remain
> > in group 'disk').
> >
> > BTW, we also use 'plugdev' for libgphoto (IIRC Debian uses 'camera'
> > for that).

> I personally would prefer two groups. One to give access rights to the raw
> device of the removable drive and one to mount them using pmount. I don't like
> giving all my programs direct access, just because i'm allowed to pmount a
> drive.

Do the devices have to be g+w? Surely g+r is enough (or not even
neccesary) for pmount to identify them as pmountable? Although I guess
partitioning would require +w for the user, but in that case the user
needs direct access anyway, and then dialling your USB stick becomes a
distinct possibility.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.