Re: Introducing pmount in Debian / New plugdev group

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 19:32:38 +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> On Nov 09, Martin Pitt <martin@piware.de> wrote:
>
>> We solved (4) by introducing a new group called 'plugdev'. Every user
>> who is a member of this group can access hotpluggable devices (digital
>> cameras, USB drives etc.). pmount can only be executed by members of
>> this group (it is root:plugdev 750), hal runs in this group to be able
>> to detect file systems (but it does not run in 'disk'), and udev assigns
>> the 'plugdev' group to removable devices (static drives remain in group
>> 'disk').
> I'm not sure about what I should do as the udev maintainer. The default
> udev configuration does not really know for sure if a given device is
> removable.

Initially I was going to suggest you'd know because of the bus-type but I
suspect that even that may not be enough (SATA IDE devices: removable or
not; PCI-X cards: removable or not)

I'd assume that all storage can come and go 'at whim'.

Anand
--
linux.conf.au 2005   -  http://lca2005.linux.org.au/  -  Birthplace of Tux
April 18th to 23rd   -  http://lca2005.linux.org.au/  -       LINUX