Re: Documentation for upstream software authors

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I've just started http://wiki.debian.net/SoftwarePackaging, intended to
> collect thoughts of packagers how upstream developers can make the life of
> a packager easier.

The idea sounds good. However,

> I'm sure all packagers have wondered about "brain-dead" upstream developers
> who have not put much thought into how their software might be distributed
> in a pre-compiled/pre-configured package.

Please do not use language like "brain-dead" in the text of this
page. What will an upstream developer think if I point him to a page
with "some useful information" and he finds himself called "brain-dead"
- by you and, because I told him to read it, by me?

An other point could be "Use sensible version numbering":

- Most importantly, take care that newer versions have a higher value in
  alphanumeric comparisons than older versions. I know a project where
  0.92-1, 0.92-2, 0.92-3 were the release candidates for 0.92...

- Make clear which version numbers correspond to development
  versions/branches, and which are for releases

- Make clear which versions indicate a major release, and which only a
  bugfix release (if the project was first released with 0.1, and had
  0.2, 0.3... afterwards, then 1.0 to 1.1 is probably a major release,
  not just a bugfix release of 1.0)

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster