Re: Documentation on handling of orig.tar.gz files for Developer's Reference or for Debian Policy

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 10:22:12AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:58:55 +0100, Frank Küster <frank@kuesterei.ch>
> said:
>
> > ,----
> >> A repackaged .orig.tar.gz [...] must not contain any file that does
> >> not come from the upstream author(s), or whose contents has been
> >> changed by you.
> > `----

> 	That sounds reasonable to me. oir.tar.gz is supposed to be
>  _upstream's_ sources. not a mix of stuff from upstream plus stuff
>  added later.

That assumes an easily measurable definition of "upstream".  And a
sharp distinction between "upstream" and "DD" that may not actually
exist (e.g. a DD may be a member of upstream).

I'm not at all sure how this rule would apply, for example, to my own
pilot-manager_1.107.0pre108.orig.tar.gz.  Everything in there is from
upstream's website, except my own note on how I put the pieces
together.  Do I need to remove that note?  That seems like a really
bad idea.  Anyway, I was upstream project leader for most of the last
year, up until about a week ago, when I stepped down in favor of
someone more enthusiastic.  But I'm still an upstream developer.

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single