Is membership in staff supposed to imply root access?

It looks like our installs set up /usr/local/bin to be group staff and
writable by staff, and place /usr/local/(s)bin before /usr/(s)bin in
root's PATH.

I was a little surprised because I thought we used to exclude the
/usr/local directories from root's path by default, but perhaps we
changed our policies or perhaps my memory is mistaken.

Also, I wonder if our handling of /usr/local isn't a bit inconsistent
since it doesn't look like we include /usr/local/lib in the ld.so
defaults.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning