Re: Location of Type 1 fonts

Jaldhar H. Vyas asks,

> I'm confused as to where to place Type 1 fonts.  Should they go into
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 or /usr/share/fonts/type1?  Why do some
> TeX packages have their fonts under /usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1?

I do not pretend to have the full answer to the question, but I see no
full answer yet on the list, and this may interest you.  The listed
Debian packages appear to deal in Type 1 fonts yet seem to have nothing
particularly to do with X.  Source: debram, ramification [1718 Fonts],
standing separately from [1823 X Fonts] for precisely the kind of issue
your question raises.  Further info
at [http://debtags.alioth.debian.org].

1718 FONTS (39)

CM Connelly       opt   mminstance
Multiple-master font utilities for creating AFM or PFB files

CM Connelly       opt   t1utils
A collection of simple Type 1 font manipulation programs

AR Czechowski     opt   libt1-5
Type 1 font rasterizer library - runtime

AR Czechowski     opt   libt1-dev
Type 1 font rasterizer library - development

AR Czechowski     opt   libt1-doc
Type 1 font rasterizer library - developers documentation

AR Czechowski     opt   t1lib-bin
Type 1 font rasterizer library - user binaries

AR Czechowski     opt   t1lib-dev
Type 1 font rasterizer library - development

AR Czechowski     opt   t1lib1
Type 1 font rasterizer library - runtime

A. Fok            opt   ttf2pt1
A TrueType to PostScript Type 1 Font Converter

A. Lees           opt   defoma
Debian Font Manager -- automatic font configuration framework

A. Lees           opt   defoma-doc
Debian Font Manager documentation

A. Lees           opt   psfontmgr
PostScript font manager -- part of Defoma, Debian Font Manager

J. Mouette        opt   fontconfig
generic font configuration library

J. Mouette        opt   libfontconfig1
generic font configuration library (shared library)

J. Mouette        ext   libfontconfig1-dbg
generic font configuration library (debugging symbols)

J. Mouette        opt   libfontconfig1-dev
generic font configuration library (development headers)

C. Silpa-Anan     opt   fontforge
Font Editor for PS, TrueType and OpenType fonts

C. Silpa-Anan     opt   fontforge-doc
Font Editor for PS, TrueType and OpenType fonts

C. Silpa-Anan     opt   pfaedit
A migration package for FontForge

C. Silpa-Anan     opt   type1inst
Install Adobe Type 1 fonts into X11 and Ghostscript

Thaddeus H. Black
508 Nellie's Cave Road
Blacksburg, Virginia 24060, USA
+1 540 961 0920, t@b-tk.org