Re: Drop testing

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 05:44:31PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > Remember, Debian is a volunteer project, you cannot force people to do
> > something they do not want to.
>
> Motivation is the only factor to make them do things. Having to care
> about the release in order to continue the "fun work" leads to
> motivation.

Indeed.

Having the idea that the release takes ages, and that the "fun work"
will not come back in the near future, does not.

> > >    Testing synchronisation are not of pure technical nature, they are
> > >    social problem, and so they should be solved by people and not
> > >    scripts.
> >
> > Yes, testing synchronisation is not a purely technical matter. Nor is it
> > purely social, so the testing scripts, which automatically keep stuff in
> > sync, are a real help. On top of that, package maintainers coordinating
>
> They are overhead.

They most certainly are not. It certainly is a help to be able to see
what packages are in a mostly-releasable state just by looking at those
that are in testing, and those that are not.

I have a simple question for you: have you actually talked to those
currently managing our releases before drafting this GR?

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks