Re: Drop testing

El sáb, 23-10-2004 a las 12:56 +0200, Eduard Bloch escribió:

[...]

>  - unstable lockdown in the freeze
>  - drop Testing and concentrate on work instead of wasting time on
>    synching stuff. This eliminates the need for testing-security. See
>    the last part of the paper for details.
>  - about the "filtering updates for frozen" - yes, some additional
>    manpower is required but that work must be done. The problems with
>    Testing synchronisation are not of pure technical nature, they are
>    social problem, and so they should be solved by people and not
>    scripts.

 Perhaps there is another approach, combining both the benefits of
having testing and of freezing. But this means having a time based
release timeline. And this is something that it is not being discussed
here, but also Ubuntu can be released because they have a timeline, what
makes people rush a bit for what they want. Of course Ubuntu has paid
people for doing tasks, but Debian can permit dropping some packages in
one release if they're not ready, as we don't sell a product.

 From a mail in  debian-custom[1] with a little fix:

<quote on>
8.6 New way to distribute Debian

Here is my own proposal for these, I think every Debian developer/user
has his very own one:

* During "normal" debian developer cycle (from T0 to T0 + 1 year):
DD -> unstable -> testing
QA -> security -> stable

at T0 + 1 year:
	freeze := testing

* During "freeze" ( from T0 + 1 year to T0 + 1.5 year ):

     DD -> unstable -> testing
DD + QA -> freeze -> stable

at T0 + 1.5 years = T1:
	stable := freeze
	old-stable := stable (security for 6 months, already done by QA)
<quote off>

 Of couse, timeline can be adjusted, and I think that a 2 month freeze
should be enouogh, but what I want to show is how both testing and
freeze could be used together.

 Regards,

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-custom/2004/09/msg00033.html

--