Re: Ubuntu discussion at planet.debian.org

Jérôme Marant <jmarant@nerim.net> wrote:

> Are you saying that technical choices do not contribute to the success
> of Canonical? For instance, deciding to target the distribution at
> most popular architectures only?

Supporting a reduced range of both targets and software makes life
slightly easier, yes. But I've no especially good reason to believe that
they'd be less successful if they had a slightly larger staff and
supported all our architectures.

It's not the technical issues with supporting multiple architectures
that give us problems - it's the social issues surrounding access to
buildds, incorporation into architectures, people failing to fix
architecture specific bugs, people demanding that people fix
architecture specific bugs, that sort of thing. It's undoubtedly true
that we could release slightly faster with fewer architectures, but it's
also true that we'd find something else to argue about in order to
remove any advantage.

> I'd be insterested in hearing your point of view on the technical
> flaws as well.

In Debian? I think what technical flaws there are are masked by other
problems. We're actually spectacularly good at dealing with technical
issues in comparison to most distributions.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org