Re: Xsession doesn't use umask setting from /etc/login.defs

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 10:57:24AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * Branden Robinson
>
> | On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 12:06:36PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> | > environment variables, at least, are trivial to accomplish using the
> | > pam_env module.  Properly setting a umask would call for something else
> | > yet.
> |
> | Would pam_umask.so be a worthwhile exercise for some enterprising person?
> |
> | I somehow suspect that umasks predate environment variables in the misty
> | early history of Unix, else the umask would've been made one.
>
> Give me a decent description for it (as in, what goes into the long
> description in debian/control) and it's on its way to incoming.

Wow, thanks!

Hmmm.

 This PAM module sets the umask for successfully authenticated sessions.
 The umask affects the permissions assigned to newly created files by
 default.
 .
 This package is useful to ensure that users' umasks are set consistently
 whether their session is initiated by login, SSH, a display manager for
 the X Window System, or some other means.

I'm not thrilled with it, but maybe you can make something useful out of
that.

Thanks again for the lightning-fast coding.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    The basic test of freedom is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    perhaps less in what we are free to