Re: Xsession doesn't use umask setting from /etc/login.defs

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 12:14:58AM +0200, Tomas Fasth wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
> >/etc/login.defs explicitly indicates that it is "Configuration
> >control definitions for the login package", and many of its
> >parameters are inapplicable to display managers, or already
> >implemented in parallel (e.g., how long do wait after a failed
> >login before displaying the prompt/greeter again?).
> I believe that /etc/login.defs _is_ the right place to define the
> default umask property.

It feels wrong to me to make display managers selectively parse the
configuration file of a different piece of software for configuration
parameters that might be of interest to them.

$ man 5 login.defs

No mention of X Window System display managers there.

Huh, well...

       Much of the functionality that used to be provided by the shadow
       password suite is now handled by PAM.  Thus, /etc/login.defs is no
       longer used by programs  such  as  login(1), passwd(1) and su(1).
       Please refer to the corresponding PAM configuration files instead.

Maybe that's the direction we should head?

G. Branden Robinson                |     If God had intended for man to go
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     about naked, we would have been
branden@debian.org                 |     born that way.
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |