Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

Marc,

On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 10:23:34PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:47:30 +0100, paddy <paddy@panici.net> wrote:
> >While this solution may be preferable for some uses, I think what bothers
> >me is the lack of a simpler solution.  Is there really compelling reason
> >why all such files _must_ go into package-management?
>
> I consider that way as "working with the distribution".

Granted.  I like package managed systems, and I love apt.
I wouldn't go outside the system for no reason at all.
I'm simply skeptical that the present system is a good fit
for all problems.  Maybe this is such a problem?

But mostly, I find the absence of an obvious place to put such files,
short of packaging them, truly surprising.

> What would be
> good would be a possibility to have a command-line API to register
> $RANDOM_FILE with package management without having to install a
> physical .deb.

It sounds attractive, and maybe it is possible to do without trouble,
but I wonder.  I'm afraid I've not yet taken the time to look around
dpkg and friends well enough to hazard an opinion, let alone do the
work.  Ironically this is because the software works well, and the
backend design has enabled very easy fixing in the rare cases of
trouble that I have encountered.

Actually, I feel a 'going off at a tangent' coming on.

Consider webmin.  It has its own package management system, albeit
some might say a primitive one next to dpkg.  In a similar vein is
CPAN and I'm sure many others once you start looking.  Another recurring
theme is package management over networks (consider shared /usr over nfs).

I wonder if package management systems shouldn't talk to each other.
A minimal command-line API could be the place to start.

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall