Re: pinging Bradley Marshall: gnokii licence violation

'ello

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 09:49:04PM +1000, Bradley Marshall wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 11:34:27AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> > Are there any people interested in the package? Would someone help
> > out in resolving #266566? I am working with the Gammu folks
> > (together with Jonas Smedegaard), so it would be best to have an
> > independent third-party approach the Gnokii bunch.
> If someone could help with this, that'd be great.  I've sent an email
> to the gnokii-users list to find out their take on the situation.

Gammu was written after MyGnokii which was based on the work of gnokii
as far as I remember.  I believe most gnokii code was removed from Gammu
but the reason for the split from gnokii in the beginning as far as I
could see was that patches from Marcin Wiacek weren't being accepted by
gnokii's maintainers.

What I saw on the list was an acrimonious strop which ended up with
Marcin creating his own gnokii equivalent due to being unable to work
with the gnokii maintainers.

There may be legal issues with the files but I would be very careful
about taking the views of a disgruntled developer for granted.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnokii-users/2002-04/msg00049.html
and
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnokii-users/2002-04/msg00108.html
illustrate the fundamental disagreements between these two.

And he pissed off the list:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnokii-users/2002-05/msg00400.html
followed up by:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnokii-users/2002-05/msg00406.html

The list archives are all public so feel free to read around this.

Simon

--
... "I'm gonna eat you, little fishy!" - The Cat