Re: ppp/ip-up vs. network/if-up

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Thomas Hood wrote:

> FYI: The experimental ifupdown does not currently rerun "up" scripts if
> pppd reconnects.

Is not the same true for DHCP ?

> I can see why, in the case of PPP interfaces, that might be desired.  I am
> not sure that we should implement it, though.  It would depart from the
> way ifupdown "up" and "down" scripts have worked in the past for other
> interfaces.

I don't see how we can get this kind of support without ppp and dhcp
support... The two would be very similiar (the potential to get the
same address, or a new one).

It would take some thought to handle all the possibilities properly
but the end result would be *very* nice.  I've tried a few times,
and wound up with scripts in ppp, dhcp, and network - all modelled
similiar to the DHCP state management.
--
Rick Nelson
Linux poses a real challenge for those with a taste for late-night