Re: discover or alsa?

On Oct 13, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> wrote:

> > Discover should not try to load drivers for PCI devices AT ALL, we have
> > hotplug for this.
> The reverse could be (and has been, on multiple occasions) said about
> hotplug.
Sure, many people say silly things.
hotplug is needed on most systems (think about USB devices), will
probably become mandatory very soon (hint: udev) and needs anyway to
support PCI hotplugging for systems with an hotplug PCI bus.
Since it's here, is going to stay and does almost everything we need,
automatically (it uses information provided by the kernel and does not
need a database to be updated), I'd say we can as well use it for
coldplugging.

> Apart from that, there's also the 'canon' way of managing modules
> (/etc/modules), and a number of other packages which will load modules
> to be able to do what they're installed for (hardware driver support
> packages such as the ALSA ones, but also stuff such as binfmt-support
> and nbd-client).
ALSA does not loads modules anymore, the other packages you mentioned do
not load device drivers and are not relevant in this discussion.

> Comments?
Your proposals are (other than very vague) way too much complex and
probably not even possible to implement.

--
ciao, |
Marco | [8536 arLPqUeErJ8NQ]