Re: kernel update takes out nvidia drivers

* Carl B. Constantine (duckwing@duckwing.ca) wrote:
> I just did an update on my system. it updated my kernel to a newer
> version of the same kernel. It also updated all the nvidia packages. But
> X no longer works. Even though the nvidia packages are installed, the
> drivers do not work, the kernel module doesn't load.
>
> So I tried running the nvidia-installer program to "re-wrap" the
> compiled nvidia binary to the new kernel (which should have been done by
> the package maintainer IMHO) and it informs me I need the kernel source.
>
> I installed the kernel source and the nvidia-install program STILL tells
> me I need the kernel source or headers.
>
> Anyone have ideas on how to fix? I have no X at all now :-(

Nevermind, I installed the headers instead and that worked. However, why
it happened in the first place is puzzling to me. If I update all the
nvidia packages with the kernel image, why doesn't it just work? Why do
I need to re-run nvidia's installer program? It doesn't make sense to
me.

--
 .''`.      Carl B. Constantine
: :' :     duckwing@duckwing.ca