Re: about volatile.d.o/n

Jesus Climent [u] wrote on 09/10/2004 02:28:

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 03:51:29PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:

I generally have to resort to backports or unstable when installing Debian on recent hardware, because we don't update hardware drivers in stable. Would the kernel and X be candidates for volatile?

I dont see any reason why not, if they can be marked as NotAutomatic.

I certainly see reason not to include X in colatile. X pulls in xlibs, and xlibs is depended on by a _huge_ amount of programs if I'm not mistaken. It is near impossible to tell wether an X upgrade might break things or not.

As for the kernel: If I were a volatile RM-aequivalent, I might consider getting the kernel into v.d.o, even though it is a huge beast, it usually either breaks completely on some specific system or it doesn't break anything. But I'm not sure about this.

regards,
Sven