Re: pmount vs updfstab

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 03:04:10PM +0200, alphac wrote:
> I think hal + dbus-1 + fstab-sync works very well on debian, but the
> real missing feature is the possibility for users to mount remote file
> systems  like cifs and smbfs without having root privileges or having to
> suidroot smbmnt, this solution doesn't work very well and  it would be
> useful to create mount points on demand in the user home directory.

Some environments more err... user-friendly already have this kind
of features, like smb4k for KDE.

Anywy, I totally dislike tools which hack
fstab or other configuration files around, they have the bad habit to
(mis)configure things in a way I hate deeply. They are not solutions,
but fast and dirty hacks, pure and plain, nothing which could not
be done with some ugly scripts and sudo equivalently, as in the
old *nix days on non-Solaris systems.
A daemon based approach is a more clean solution.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine