Re: pmount vs updfstab

Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 12:57:46PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 02:46:05PM +0200, Bluefuture wrote:
Il giorno sab, 09-10-2004 alle 12:23 +0200, Michael Banck ha scritto:

What is updtfstab?
I use this on sarge/sid and works very fine:
http://ccomb.free.fr/wiki/wakka.php?wiki=UsbMassStorageEnglish
It seems this one just uses udev, not HAL. I hope that we get full
project-utopia integration for sarge+1 (we've already come a long way).

updtfstab still looks like a good interim solution though.

In the remote hypothesis I understood the terms of the question :)
I'd prefer a daemon-based approach a la vold, without touching
configuration files around not of competence.
See vold.sf.net, it is the Linux version of a well known tools in
Solaris.
I think hal + dbus-1 + fstab-sync works very well on debian, but the real missing feature is the possibility for users to mount remote file systems like cifs and smbfs without having root privileges or having to suidroot smbmnt, this solution doesn't work very well and it would be useful to create mount points on demand in the user home directory.

my 2 cents...

--
Guglielmo Dapavo