Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 04:43:03PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> This is an argument for why we ought to do what makes the package
> useful (keep the virus definitions up-to-date, and add what new things
> are necessary for that purpose), but is no argument for making other
> unrelated changes.

As explained by Duncan and for my experience with SA, it is not obvious how to
make backports of chunks of SA code without changing essential parts of the
core engine.

My point is that v.d.o is _optional_ so changes should be allowed by v.d.o
policy, to certain extent and following some consens and some rules defined
there.

You want your system stable and rock solid? dont point your sources.list to
v.d.o and work done.

But right now, i have 3 machines with backported SA 2.64-1, clamav,
amavisd-new and many other software... and i suffer. I cannot keep those
machines with sid, or even sarge, but i cannot keep them with SA 2.20, either.

Jesus Climent                                      info:www.pumuki.org
Unix SysAdm|Linux User #66350|Debian Developer|2.4.27|Helsinki Finland
GPG: 1024D/86946D69 BB64 2339 1CAA 7064 E429  7E18 66FC 1D7F 8694 6D69

London. You know... fish, chips, cup o' tea, bad food, worse weather,
Mary-fucking-Poppins... London!
		--Avi (Snatch)